Monday, July 09, 2007

Ketchup? Catsup?

So, a rough recap.

I quit the Job. Yep, bold step, but am now not working for the first time in over five years. Actually, I am still technically employed there, filling in every now and then when called. But this summer's all about sleeping in and being a bit lazy. It feels a bit strange to not have to spend 6-9 hours a day at work, but it's amazing how quickly I acclimatized to it.

I just finished taking a biology course at the Communitty Collej. It was an online course, but no cakewalk. the content was a lot tougher than many of the courses I've taken at State School, and because it was only a nine-week class, the tests and labs came fast and furious.

I am therefore now taking the only class left required of me before student teaching this September. It's Children's Literature, taught by Ms. L, whom I've suffered through before. Actually, this class is fairly interesting. It's got me reading a lot more children's literature, ostensibly in preparation for the upcoming public school apprenticeship, but really because a lot of those so-called juvenile classics (Bridge to Terabithia, The Giver, The Outsiders, Alice in Wonderland, Mrs. Frisby, A Wrinkle in Time) are damn fine reading.

So, not long now until the final step toward Public Schooldom. Getting agreeably anxious.

I went to the doctor today for the first time in a few years, let the leeches examine me. EKG and CBC, all that. I've probably got something falling apart in there.

Oh, and my father has leukemia. Possibly. There seems to be a division of opinions on the subject. Well, he's over 70, and it's Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia, so there's not much anyone's going to do about it. Ah, what do these damn medico-quacks know anyway, right? My father put the lie to a two-month death sentence from lymphoma, sixteen years ago or so now. Between, that, the alcoholism and the anemia, something's gotta give. Eventually.

Fatalistic Shrug --- that would be a good band name.

1 comment:

EHT said...

Sorry about your Dad. I hope the next few months are as easy on him and you as possible.

I love children's literature...even the simple little picture books. Actually I think a large majority of it is better and literature for adults simply because often they have to take and elaborate idea and craft it in simple form. Yet there are some chapter books that are very elaborate in plot details such as Holes. I love to teach using that book....NOT the movie. :)