Thursday, April 30, 2009

In the foul furrow that you dig

So we here in Texas are all gonna die from the swine flu, or as the conservative racist folk have it, the illegal alien flu. We who work in a school are on our toes --- Fort Worth has closed its entire district in what may or may not be a bit of early and unnecessary panic --- and we're keeping the kids washing their hands every time they sneeze or wipe their noses.

Today L was passing out our snack, pretzel sticks. As he walked around, I saw him take one out, lick it, and put it back in the bag. "What on earth are you doing?" I squawked in horror. He shrugged. "I forgot I licked that one," he said. I dumped all the pretzels in the trash, then as an afterthought tossed the bag in too.

3 comments:

Churlita said...

I don't get the swine flu panic. Yes, people in Mexico died, and that's really sad, but is it any worse than any other flu? In the US, as far as I know, one person has died from it.

I get that it spreads easily, but compared to any other flu, how many more people have died?

I always think of that one time when my uncle told me not to go outside in the Summer because I could get West Nile and die. Of course, my uncle has been smoking since he was 12, so what are the odds he'll die from that and I WON'T die from West Nile? I'm not going to do anything stupid, but I'm also not going to freak-out and live in fear because of it.

Chance said...

Yeah, I'm not too worried about it.

Michael5000 said...

So I guess I'm like 9 days behind now, but it's still funny how much it's like "oh yeah, the great swine flu panic. Those were crazy times...."