Monday, August 08, 2022

I don't know but today seems kinda odd

First day back!  I dragged myself out of bed, ran a comb across my head, etc.  As always with teachers' back to school week, we started with introductions. We have a new P and a new VP, and they both spent a rather long time talking about themselves: where they were born, their families, etc.  There was one dumb icebreaker game where we broke into teams and then one person from each team tried to blow a row of plastic cups off a table with a straw.  There was no purpose whatsoever to this activity, not even team building, as the teams did not communicate except to wordlessly signal that they did not want to be the person blowing through the straw.  There was also no prize.

After about an hour and a half, we were released to go work in our rooms the rest of the day, which I did.  We broke for lunch.  I joined a group of seven others.  Only after expressing interest did they say they were going to Applebees, one of the worst restaurants to ever make money.  I had a truly terrible plate of chicken strips that were overcooked and tough.

I'm trying to compartmentalize and not think about it, but I'm actually really worried about this year.  I've never taught second grade in a public school before.  I don't know how to record my absences for sick days.  I don't know how to post grades.  I don't know what the curriculum is.  I don't know where the spelling lists are.  I don't know what I'm supposed to teach.  I'd happily wing it if I were in this position at Prestigius, but I don't think "winging it" is going to (heh, heh) fly this year.  The new P seems rather detail oriented.

No comments: