Wednesday, August 10, 2022

I'm a victim of imposter syndrome

So today was DWD at Burton ISD, and my lord do these people love their acronyms.  DWD is District Wide Day, which means everyone goes to different schools around the district depending on their grade level or content area to hear presenters talk about various topics.  There are so, so many acronyms.  Too many God damned acronyms.  TGDMA.

I went down to some building to hear about K-2 literacy teaching, which actually was pretty instructive.  Now at least I have some links for the pacing guide and the curriculum.  And I got some good ideas for literacy centers.  Also, though not at DWD, I obtained a list of the word wall words and spelling lists for the year, which helps.  After lunch, the second half was about math, so I excused myself and went back to Hanover, where I busied myself with a few projects, thought about room arrangement, and made a frighteningly long list of things I need to buy at a teacher store just to get the room looking vaguely like a classroom.

Then I went to my mom's house.  I brought her an unhealthy Chik-Fil-A sandwich and watched the penultimate "Better Call Saul."  Best.  Show.  Ever.  Also I printed some stuff out for her and tried to get her through some online applications.  My mother is eighty now, and when it comes to technology she has very little thinky cotton left.

Then I picked up Cake from volleyball.  It was supposed to be at 7:30 but it lasted until 8:00.  She is one who really burns the candle at as many ends as she can find.  Academically, athletically, and socially, she plays to win.  The other two are sluggish oafs in comparison.  Particularly Kjr, who is, it must be said, not in any conventional sense smart, and retains zero knowledge.

No comments: