Sunday, March 30, 2008

If Only They Could Talk

What I'd Like to Hear Democrats, Especially a Democratic Presidential Contender, Say To Republicans

"Cut and run? If you mean cut programs that benefit working Americans and run away from your responsibilities to the Constitution, I think that describes the current administration quite accurately. As for Democrats, I guess we'd like to cut and run away from the economic policies and war that have destroyed America's economy and reputation. I can embrace that definition, but on the whole I'd rather we talk like adults and drop the empty buzzwords."

"Withdrawal from Iraq does not mean an American defeat in the war on terror; that's a fallacy that this administration has propagated. Withdrawal at this point in time means a strategic redeployment. I suggest, in fact, that the war thus far has achieved two commendable goals --- the deposing of Saddam Hussein and the definite confirmation that there were no WMDs being made in Iraq. I submit that it is past time, therefore, for a strategic redeployment. I am eager to put our powerful military to work to make Americans safer. That means going after Al Qaeda (which has grown stronger since this misdirected, botched war), as well as any other terrorist group with a similar agenda. Finding bin Laden might be a viable goal, as well. There is absolutely no evidence to suggest that occupying Iraq is making America safer. Quite the contrary."

"Defeatism --- another Republican buzzword. Again, I don't believe that withdrawal from Iraq means defeatism. However, if you'd like to outline a strategy for Iraq that would result in a clear, definable victory, I'd be happy to consider it when deciding on military options that will strengthen America. But I can't see how redeploying our troops constitutes defeat when there is no victory on the agenda."

"Remember when President Bush vowed that finding bin Laden was his sole and paramount goal? And then, later, when he said he didn't care about finding bin Laden? Was that cutting and running? Was that embracing defeatism? Or was that a strategic redeployment, as I'm suggesting?"

"For years, democrats have been accused of elitism. But Cheney doesn't think that American opinion should impact policy. This was also true during the unpopular Clinton impeachment; polls were ignored and even decried. So my question to you is, why is it that Republicans ignore what the typical, hard-working American family strongly feels about government and issues that affect them? Isn't that as elitist as it gets?"

"I would like to see our military, the finest in the world, fighting for the safety of the American people and to protect our Constitution, which I hold nearly sacred. Instead, what I see is our fine military being wasted fighting a war that is producing more enemies than it eliminates, while our reputation and coffers dwindle. Indeed, the only threat to the Constitution that I can see in the past eight years has been from this administration."

"Bear with me, please, as I read you a quote. I'd love to hear what you think.
I would like to suggest that there is no such thing as a left or right. There is only an up or down --- up to a man's age-old dream, the ultimate in individual freedom consistent with law and order --- or down to the ant heap totalitarianism, and regardless of their sincerity, their humanitarian motives, those who would trade our freedom for security have embarked on this downward course.
Was that written by a liberal who was soft on terror? Well, perhaps this administration, the most extremely anti-freedom in America's history, would consider him to be so. His name was Ronald Reagan."

2 comments:

SamuraiFrog said...

Brilliant. I'll never hear it in my lifetime from a candidate, but, like you say, if only they could talk. If only something could get done in America...

How is it that so many of us want our political leaders to act like this, and they're convinced they should be safe instead? You never hear things like that until after someone's already lost an election.

Churlita said...

Nice. Very well said.