Wednesday, January 03, 2007

For I have but the power to kill, without--- the power to die---

Well, yet another school shooting. This was in a public high school in Tacoma. I have huge admiration for public high school teachers; frankly, I'm amazed anyone still wants to do it. Of course, there's violence in even the elemntary schools these days, sadly enough, but adolescents are the most prone to these horrific gun-related incidents.

One of the reasons that I want to be an early education teacher (I think the highest grade I'd like to teach is third) is to mold minds, serve as a role model and make impressions on kids before they get so deadened that shooting someone is the only response they can think of to conflict. That sounds fairly egocentric, I know --- but part of me does believe that an elementary teacher can change lives, even if the students never have any idea that they've been changed, or in what way.

At least, that's my hope.

No comments: