Tuesday, August 22, 2006

I'm the one going through the rescue

Medication, met you in
Authication, it's a
Hazardness, valley of deception
Walk alone, but it was
Not my intention, not my invention
And now my heart's been ripped wide open
--- Rancid, "Tropical London"

Fall semester 2006 started today. I can't believe it's been a full year since I started school again. Tonight was Math Concepts for Elementary Teachers. Yes, I have already taken Math Methods as a requirement for this same program. Yes, I have taken Algebra and Pre-Calculus before, in high school and as an undergrad. They don't care: to them, I am a poorly-taught fellow, sorely in need of more basic freshman skills. This course, taught by the affable Ms. H, seems to be reinforcing (read: repeating) many of the lessons taught in Math Concepts (i.e., emphasizing different learning styles and strategies). I won't mind it, I'm betting: although no prodigy, indeed not even blessed with any particular natural aptitude for the subject, I have always very much enjoyed wrestling with mathematical problems. Indeed, going over some of the homework for this class later, I felt the need to try my hand at some of the more intriguing problems that weren't assigned. For example. A chef has only two hourglass timers: one of eleven minutes, and one of seven; how can he use them to time 15 minutes?

NERRRRRRD!!!

No comments: