Saturday, January 08, 2022

Caveat Lector

I've been listening to the unabridged Count of Monte Cristo on audiobook.  It's 52 hours long.  I am 25 hours into it.  I have 27 hours left.  It's a bit verbose, innit.

Audible has an interesting pricing structure.  Books are one credit, whether they're a short story, or an enormous tome like Monte Cristo, or even the (yet even longer) collected Sherlock Holmes read by the incomparable Stephen Fry.  I've been an on- and off- member for years, maybe a decade.  These days, though, I mostly just piggyback off of 74's account.  Don't tell Jeff Bezos, he'll be mad.

I had a dream that all my friends, even Flax and his wife and other non-townies, went to a bar without me, even though the pandemic was still going on.  I was shocked to find them all there, but when I expressed amazement that they had (1) convened at a bar during the Covid era, (2) not told me about it, and in fact (3) had assured me they weren't going out any time soon, they just kind of shrugged it off.  I remember that in the dream, 74, at least, was a little abashed to be caught out.  I wonder what all that means.  I certainly am not anxious that they're all out having fun without me.  I like staying in.

No comments: