Tuesday, September 06, 2005

No one can ruin your day without your permission

So my Tuesday goes like this, and it's atypical because my car is in the shop.

My father very kindly gives me a ride to work around 8.45 a.m. I try to instruct 4-6 year olds in letters, numbers, spatial thinking and deduction. I try to instruct 2-3 year olds in social graces and some fine motor skills. My workday ends at 6.00 p.m.

My father very kindly picks me up at work. My father extremely kindly then proceeds to drive me to school, which is about a 35-40 minute drive.

From 7 to 9.45 p.m. I sit in Psychology of Education. The lecture by Mr. S, as usual, consists of a few key points from the text, with the reminder that if he mentions them, they'll be on the test. Then the trusty TA takes over and he talks about certain real world applications of teaching concepts, and we do a basic small-group exercise on this week's chapters. (Content includes Piaget's stages of learning development vs. Vygotsky's social and guided learning and Bronfenbrenner's ecological theory of moral development vs. Erikson's eight crises / stages of life, plus a bit on public schools' take on diversity, identity, self-esteem and social issues.)

My saintly father exceedingly kindly drives the 20 or so miles up to school to pick me up and the 20 miles back home. I enter my house after nearly 14 hours' absence, let the dog out (hoo! hoo!), write this, and now will go pack a lunch and dinner for tomorrow (class again), work out, and go to bed.

Whew. Hopefully the car will be fixed tomorrow.

No comments: