Saturday, September 09, 2006

The faces that I greet never know my name

A strong heart will prevail
It keeps on pumping
It still needs something
Just give me something
I'll take nothing
--- Badly Drawn Boy, "Pissing In the Wind"

I got a brand new computer (this Toshiba laptop is four years old and has a pathetically tiny hard drive). However, I have so far been unable to connect it to my existing DSL connection. In this day and age, you need to be on-line to do pretty much everything (install software, recognize CDs you're burning, install virus protection, register for help, etc), so at the moment, my brand new sparkling PC is nothing more than an extremely expensive Freecell console.

On the plus side, I am very, very good at Freecell.

***

Yesterday, I got Greg Rucka's third Atticus Kodiak novel, Smoker, from the library. I read about 200 pages of it in one sitting, just before going to bed. All last night, I had vivid dreams, closely related to the book's plot, in which I was Atticus. This is, of course, a colossally nerdish thing to dream about.

Anyway, I'm about as much like amoral tough guy bodyguard Atticus Kodiak as Clay Aiken is.

No comments: