Tuesday, August 21, 2007

A man is master of his liberty

I ate lunch with the Friar and Palfrey. They were both on their lunch breaks; I am an idle fellow. I ate an oyster po' boy. Coincidentally, Palfrey's mother was in the area, and she was taking care of their baby, so I got to see and hold him. Cool.

I sent in my resume to five private schools in the area. I don't expect any of them to bite, but perhaps they'll keep me in mind until next year. Indeed, if I did get a call back from one of them, I honestly don't know what I'd do, since I'm about to student teach at Brown Elementary. I just did it to keep in job-applying mode, since the student teaching is, as they said up at the State School meeting, "a twelve week long job interview."

***

I watched the movie Borat. Amusing, but highly overrated, I thought. I guess maybe I've seen too much of that kind of premise, from glorious (Da Ali G Show) to goofy (Candid Camera) to pathetic (Punk'd). The film certainly makes for an interesting sociological experiment: how patient and polite will people be to a man who begins to act ridiculously stupid and gradually ups the ante until he's apparently sociopathic? How many kisses will an American male put up with from a stranger? But as a comedy, I found it only a moderate success. I laughed hard at places, cringed at other times, and stared blankly at still other scenes. He's knocking down a bunch of breakable antiques, and it's funny because he's... foreign, I guess? I don't know.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Checking to see if my new blogger account lets me leaves comments now. And also I think I'm the only person left who hasn't seen Borat...

Chance said...

Hooray! Glad to see you.

daveawayfromhome said...

I havent seen it yet either, but that doesnt really bother me. Fucking with people like that makes me uncomfortable, it's too much like practical joking, which sucks.