Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Do I have to come right out flat and tell you everything?

I can't believe that this indicates in any way "the final undoing of Sarah Palin," but it's nice to see so much growing distaste as the story spreads.

***

Today after work we had our regular meeting. Among other things, the Vice-Head gave us the official procedure for writing recommendations for students. She cautioned us against writing too much praise: "It's not our job to get them into other schools," she said. "We want them to stay here."

Call me naive, but that kind of surprised me. I mean, asking a teacher for a rec is kind of trust, I thought. If your kid's kindergarten teacher can't be counted on to spout effusive approbation for everything the little darling does, what is this world coming to?

It kind of reminds me of the time I was 18 and working in a frozen yogurt store. The regular size was 3 ounces and we had a digital scale to measure our swirls. The manager told us one day that when elderly ladies came in, it was okay to give them 2.5 or 2.7 ounces, because they wouldn't eat that much anyway.

I think the part of me that might have grown up to be a capitalist died that day.

3 comments:

Churlita said...

That's so weird. You think it would reflect well on your school, if its students got into really good schools afterward.

daveawayfromhome said...

That reminds me of when I worked restaurants while in school. A customer was ordering a pizza, and I suggested a deal that we had that would give her the same thing for less.
Later, a district manager chastized me, saying, "We're not in business to undersell ourselves".
I see the point, but at the same time, what an asshole. It shouldnt be okay to cheat people some of the time. It's an all or nothing deal (and I think most people know that, which is why you cant turn your back on most of them).

Michael5000 said...

When I was in college, one of my buddies worked in an ice cream shop. He's very principled. When I went in to hang out at the shop, I always made sure to be served by the other workers, who would recognize me as the coworker's pal and give me a generous portion. If I ordered directly from him, he would be so careful not to play favorites that he'd skimp.

I respect that! But, I found a way to work around it, too.