Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Damn right I'll rise again

It burns being broke and it hurts to be heartbroken
But always being both must be a drag
--- The Hold Steady, "Your Little Hoodrat Friend"

I stayed up well past midnight last night, not drinking, as those who read this blog might be quick to assume, but doing school work. First, I printed out materials and reviewed information for the lesson plan on spiders we did in Art today, and then I worked on a Book Talk project due in a few weeks for Diagnostic Reading.

I had the usual slow and lazy Wednesday morning, then went off to Art. The lesson plan was a great success, I thought; we had the students make spiders from two pieces of painted Styrofoam ball held together with toothpicks. We used pipe cleaners for the legs and lots of googly eyes. Then they glued the spiders to paper plates and drew webs around them. I felt like this was a good lesson, because the art component wasn't just a throw-away like a handprint turkey, but reinforces the notion that spiders have two body segments, eight legs, many eyes and no antennae.

The other group did a cute lesson on jellyfish, which we made out of paper bowls, streamers and patterned tissue paper.

And then we got our recorders. I am one of the most musically inept people on the planet, but I gamely squeaked and tooted my way through the B, A and G notes of "Mary Had a Little Lamb."

Diagnostic Reading was an online class today, and since I did the electronic part of the assignment last night, I went home and spent the rest of the day goofing off. Since the down time between classes is normally when I do my Math homework and Art reading, I therefore condemned myself to some study time in my weekend.

No comments: