Thursday, September 21, 2006

Drowsy numbness pains my sense

I like having Wednesdays off.

When I got home last night, I did my classroom floor plan assignment for Art using the art tools in PowerPoint. Then I stayed up late putzing around on the web because I could.

I woke up at 10:00 a.m., walked the dog, ate a big breakfast, and went to Art. We had a quiz. We learned how to make die-tye sheets with baby wipes and markers. We split into small groups, and out group made a poster about the learning theories of good old Vygotsky (he seems to pop up a lot). And we got another nifty acronym. This one is a ten-point strategy for adapting lessons with particular student needs in mind (cultural diversity and disabilities and so on).

Place - the setting of the learning must be adapted
Amount - the time and materials
Rate - the frequency of the work
Targets - the lesson objectives (everyone's a winner where there aren't any!)
Instruction - adapt teaching strategies
Curriculum - change the scope and sequence of items taught
Utensils - use different media or tools
Level of difficulty - ease the complexity
Assistance - offer scaffolding (there's Vygotsky again!)
Response - allow new ways for the student to show learning

***

And then later there was Diagnostic Reading, which is such a clusterfuck of confusing instruction and mind-deadening parroting that I can't even post about it. Worst class I've had at State school.

No comments: