Saturday, May 13, 2006

It could even be like a myth

I can't understand
She let go of my hand
And left me here facing the wall
I'd sure like to know
Why she did go
But I can't get close to her at all
--- Bob Dylan, "I Don't Believe You (She Acts Like We Never Have Met)"

So last night I get antsy, not having heard from Spooky and wanting to get a few things off my chest. I'm feeling like we need to step back, that our relationship has dwindled into a lot of mere vocalization that we're in this for the long haul, but in actual fact offering little more than a weekly hookup. She wasn't answering the phone and her machine was turned off, so I drove to her house.

It's dark. And quiet. Very dark. And a few things are gone from the porch. Although this is a house with a six-year-old kid in it, clearly no one is home. So I use the key she gave me, and what to my wondering eyes should appear, but a vacant apartment. Everything --- TV, phone, computers, bed, Baby's bed, CDs, books, shelves, glassware, clothes --- it's all gone.

I called the Maddening Angel, who had recently agreed to baby-sit Baby for a weekly salary and has yet to be paid. I drove to her house and we went back there together. It's empty; they moved out. MA is freaking out, because she was counting on that money. I'm actually not all that bothered, emotionally --- at least now I know that she was stone cold crazy and a stone cold liar.

I called Spooky's cell and left a message in which I call her three vulgar epithets lifted from this song, and move on to "I wish I never met you," and then conclude with a cheery "fuck you."

I called the Friar and his immediate, unsurprised reaction was, "She probably got evicted."

MA and I walk over to Spooky's neighbors' house and engage two women on their porch in conversation. They know a bit about it --- the Friar is right; according to them Spooky hasn't paid rent in five months and had to leave in a hurry (I'll say, as MA said their house was in perfect order at one p.m. when she dropped off Baby that afternoon). According to them, also, Babydaddy did not know that the rent was in arrears.

So MA and I got the Hangout and meet Friar, where we vented a little, and I bought MA some beers and myself far too many vodka tonics. All that was yesterday, and I woke up with quite a headache this morning.

***

So, today, Spooky actually called me back. I wasn't exactly rude, and I didn't speak with curt finality, but I did confront her with all her lies and there were a lot of long, awkward silences in our brief conversation. The sad thing is that, as far as I know, all the lies were about stupid things, like the state of her finances. I think she was being honest about caring so much for me. But how can I be sure?

MA and I went to the Museum of Natural History and saw some dinosaur bones and minerals and such. We also watched the short IMAX documentary Cosmic Voyage, narrated by Morgan Freeman. It was built around the "power of ten" concept (expanding outwards into the galaxy and inwards toward the quarks by multiples of ten meters each viewpoint). Pretty good stuff. We went to her parents' house, where we ate some brownies and watched a little TV. She's having problems with Cokehead --- he's depressed and uninterested in sex. I feel bad for her, but hell, I have my own troubles. I told her that I was glad to know her and I love spending time with her, which is true.

No comments: