Thursday, February 01, 2007

Welcome to Kamp InKompetent

So at The Job, I had a meeting with the Boss and one of the parents who is on the school board. They want to start up a K-4th-grade summer camp and run it from the gym, and they want me to administrate it. Now, if all went as perfectly as it possibly could and their wildest projections came true, I would make $12,000 in addition to my regular salary this summer.

However, that is not going to happen. As I've mentioned a few times, The Job is not run well. If we had an administrator with half a brain, we'd be huge, but as it is, we limp by despite our Boss' crashing incompetence. There is just no way that my workplace can attract enough K-4 kids to make any of the requisite expenditures worthwhile. We don't even have a bus! No one wants to send their kids to a camp with no field trips. So we'd have to hire a bus, which I suppose is possible, but again, I don't know if we've got the money for it.

All we have to offer the discerning parents (and parents in this town are very discerning when it comes to their kids) is a gym, teachers with degrees, a nice yard, a couple of computers, and lots of ideas. Is that enough? I don't know. I don't know anything about running a camp, for the love of Ganesh.

In addition: taking Biology this summer is pretty much a requirement for me. This is not the kind of class that meets once a week in the evening. It's probably going to be two or three hours, three times a week, plus labs. I must take Bio this summer because I'm student teaching in the fall, come hell or high water.

So... Even if it were likely that this thing would take off and I could net a cool ten grand plus salary in nine weeks --- which it most certainly is not --- I still wouldn't be too interested. It would mean putting off the completion of my program for another semester, and that would be stupid. I can make nearly twice as much in a public school, and I need to start that ASAP.

Still, I'm wondering if I can do both. Even if we only get a handful of kids, I could still try my best with what we get, and receive a cut of whatever the school does pull in. Ah, I dunno.

No comments: