Thursday, February 14, 2008

Dear Fellow Teachers

Dear teacher recently returned from maternity leave: I realize I'm outnumbered in this matriarchy, and you all really enjoy talking about makeup and babies and cute things all the time, but honestly, can't you wait until I'm out of the room before you start talking about your birth plug falling out? There is a line at which one has gone too far, ladies!

Dear 23-year-old first-year K teacher with no graduate degree: I realize I'm new here and all, but it irks me to sit on a parent conference and hear you introduce me and say that the reason I'm sitting in is "to get a little experience." It's kind of demeaning. I'm nearly 15 years older than you, far more educated, and have been working in early childhood for seven years. So, you know, that sucked.

No comments: