Friday, February 08, 2008

Lost its sparkle, it isn't the same

Yesterday, a fourth-grader stymied me with the old "A man pushes his car to a stop in front of a hotel and realizes he's bankrupt" conundrum. Damn smart-ass fourth-graders.

The pre-K students have been studying folk tales and nursery rhymes for a while now. Today at reading time, a pre-K kid ran up to me with a Rumpelstiltskin book, saying excitedly, "Look what I got!"

I nodded approvingly and said, "Yes, that's Rumpelstiltskin. Do you know that story?"

"No," he said in a matter of fact tone. "I can't even read."

***

Had dinner at this place again (had the same chicken tacos) with the Friar, Palfrey, and their baby Crafty; and 74, Zaftig and their now two year old baby E.

Made plans for another time with Epalg. Got a text massage (and email) from Jaded out of the blue for the first time in almost a year. I don't know if I care to hang out with her, though.

***

I seem to be a lot less introspective these days. Perhaps it's the lack of sleep.

3 comments:

Millie said...

I know the feeling. I haven't been sleeping and I think that it has caused me to emerge further into my geekiness. Hope your weekend goes well.

Michael5000 said...

What's "the old 'A man pushes his car to a stop in front of a hotel and realizes he's bankrupt' conundrum"? Is it better than the "The Boat is Sinking" conundrum?

Chance said...

A man pushes his car to a stop in front of a hotel and realizes he's bankrupt. What happened?












The car is a toy.






He's playing a game.






He just lost at Monopoly.