Sunday, February 17, 2008

Take a load off

Questions originally posted here.

Hypotheticals: If you could be a character in any novel, who would you be?
Boy, that's rather a tough one. Most of my favorite novels have protagonists who are more the victims of a large uncaring world (Yossarian, Holden Caulfield), not so much people whose fates you'd want to share. And characters with power over others, like Dracula or the Invisible Man, tend to end up badly. I do feel a sort of kinship with the sour but noble Mr. Rochester in Jane Eyre. Sherlock Holmes is admirable in his way, but I always found him a bit too supercilious. Well, let's see. There's also Jim Hawkins in Treasure Island --- a plucky young lad who comes into fortune after great adventure. Same with Huck Finn. I'll pick Hawkins, because he's still young and financially secure at the end of his book.

Anything Goes: What outdoor activity do you consider the most dangerous?
Bungee jumping or skydiving. Oh, I guess maybe doing this.

No-Brainers: What is your favorite genre of movies?
Snarky comment: this is a "no-brainer" because only people who don't think very much have favorite genres of movies. Well, I'm mostly joking. But I might say animation, because there have been so many wonderfully imaginative animated films, but I could just as easily say any other genre. It depends on the writing, acting, direction, mood, cinematography, message. I'm not a big fan of Westerns, for example, but High Noon and The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance are both great movies. Conversely, while I love thrillers and documentaries, the huge preponderance of movies in those fields are utter crap. I really don't have a favorite genre.

Oh, all right, it's superhero movies. When they're done right, I just love them so much.

Personals: How good is your long-term memory, on a scale of one to ten?
When I was younger (preteen, high school, early college), I'd say my memory went up to eleven. I remembered events (but not faces or dates) vividly; could recite snatches of conversation and text verbatim; and more often than now plucked the mot juste out of my expansive vocabulary effortlessly, without pause in speech of writing. Now, I'd say old age, alcohol use, and general rust has weakened my memory to, say, an eight.

***

This just in: My blog uses lots of big words

blog readability test

2 comments:

Michael5000 said...

Damn. Mine are high-school level. Except that the quilt blog is junior high level. Maybe it's time to uppumpen the smartitude.

Chance said...

You need to use phrases like "picaresque rogues."