Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Exceptionally dull students

In Exceptional Children, more note-taking. Main idea this session was the Individualized Family Services Plan, a sort of IEP for preschoolers.

Some concepts presented that were new to me included the APGAR score (as an example of screening for at-risk children), the Bayley Scale of infant development, and the Battelle Development Inventory. Not that it's at all likely I'll ever need to know the specifics of such things as an elementary teacher.

The second half of class was taken up with a review for the first exam, which is next week. So, to recap: readings are assigned; the prof gives lectures which are compressions of these readings; and then before the text he gives an encapsulation of those compressions, highlighting the really, really important (test-relative) material. And I should purchase a $100 book?

The girl sitting next to me (so brain-dullingly attractive that I felt like offering her my car, but then as Friar and I have said before, from the vantage point of the 35-year-old male, girls in their early twenties all look amazing --- so fresh and new compared to us decrepit old wrecks) and I shared a good laugh over the sheer silliness of all this summarization. My fellow classmates kept asking whether the prof would post the PowerPoint slides from the lectures on the web (no); whether today's review would be on the web (no); or so forth. Their quest for yet more and simpler summaries was so persistent that poor beleaguered Mr. B had to say to them, more than once, "If you are here, in this class, you are receiving this information."

I mean, what more did they want? To have the prof mail each of them taped instructions on what to study? Seriously, the only way his "review" could have been more specific is if he had said, "Okay, you'll want to write these down. Ready? A, C, B, B, D..."

No comments: