Thursday, September 25, 2008

Hey buddy! You get a load of that nerd?

G is a boy in my class who is obsessed with super heroes. When we did a project in which the kids filled out a page saying "I am special because _________," he finished it with "...I like super heroes so much."

For DEAR time, I'm reading a chapter book to the class. In it, the character is granted a wish and flies. After the reading, we have discussion, and I casually noted that people couldn't fly. G said, "But Superman flies." Without really thinking, I said, "Superman's not real." He looked shocked and crestfallen, and he said bleakly, "What about Batman? Batman came to my birthday party."

Anyway, he's continually coming up to me and asking if I know this or that character. Because I am a huge nerd, I always do: Braniac, Ant-Man, Hawkgirl, etc. But he knows them in slightly altered versions, so he takes issues with my descriptions. He didn't like the way I drew Braniac's head electrodes, and refused to recognize that Ant-Man rides an ant. He said he rode a jet ski. What, is that how it is in the cartoons or something? The network suits think kids don't want to see him riding an ant? He rides a goddam winged ant, kid. I been reading comics since 25 years before you were born.

3 comments:

DJSassafrass said...

Batman came to my birthday party! That's preciously hilarious. Ah, kids!

Michael5000 said...

When he asks you if you know Ant-Man, he probably means, like, do you know him socially. Now the poor messed-up little urchin probably thinks you're dating Hawkgirl.

Chance said...

That's true! I should tell him I know Green Lantern personally.