Monday, September 22, 2008

A pig in a cage on antibiotics

My health has improved a bit lately. Over the summer I got into the habit of eating a bunch of crap, and started to develop a bit of a gut, which is gonna happen in a sedentary guy of 37. So I fought back. Since moving to the new place, I've been walking fast at least 20 minutes every day, and on weekends twice a day. I also started doing something that I'm sure would strike most people as possibly a bit insane, but it's really helped: I write down every single thing I eat all day long. I'm not totally OCD about it --- I don't make journals or anything, I throw the record away the next day --- but it actually makes a difference. At work, there's often a lot of free candy and other bad foods, and it gets easy to chomp down a handful of peanut butter cups over the course of nine exhausting, runaround hours. Easy, that is, until I realize that I'll have to write that down and look at it when I get home: "seven peanut butter cups." Nice going, Tubs! Want an Oreo shake to wash that down with, too?

So I refrain, and get home, and just record my nice, healthy lunch with veggies, organic pizza bites, yogurt, and dried fruit and nuts. I've convinced garrulous neighbor Dale to walk with me a few times now, and his wife said it looked like I had lost a lot of weight. I have, too --- about ten pounds; but I really wish I had that weight back in muscle I've lost since the cardiologist told me not to pump iron any more.

2 comments:

Yankee in England said...

I write down everything for Weight Watchers and more than once I have decided not to eat something because I did not want to have to write it on my sheet.

Michael5000 said...

Mmmm.... Oreo shake.....