Sunday, February 26, 2006

It's partner found, it's partner lost

Ah we're drinking and we're dancing
and the band is really happening
and the Johnny Walker wisdom running high
And my very sweet companion
she's the Angel of Compassion
she's rubbing half the world against her thigh
Leonard Cohen, "Closing Time"

I went to an auction with Spooky at a Fancy Hotel downtown. The auction benefitted the Catholic school where Spooky's five-year-old daughter goes. It was a rather gala affair; I wore a blazer and tie. There was a silent auction and a live auction. Each one of the 24 items of the live auction went for at least $1000, and three items (all art done by kids at the school) reached $8500 and higher. Spooky bought one of those items. There was a quite decent steak dinner and open bar, as well. Spooky introduced me around to some of the school staff, including the lower school principal, some of the teachers, and a priest. (The latter is Spooky's own confessor as well, and has been informed of our sinful escapades, but he didn't bat an eye as he shook my hand.)

We left the auction around 11:00, me champing at the bit and quite bored with Spooky's endless small talk and socializing (petty and small of me, I know, but I am as God made me). When we got back to the car, I found that Babydaddy had called my cell phone --- again. This time he was sick and needed some medicine. "Why can't his girlfriend get him some?" I complained. I know, Spooky and her Babydaddy have a long history of taking care of one another's ailments, and that's not something that I should get between. But it did make me briefly surly and resentful. How can I have a date, much less a relationship, with someone who is clearly already in one? It may not be a sexual or even a romantic relationship, but they are definitely permanently intertwined, and it's an impediment to any development Spooky and I may undergo as a "couple." Hell, I can't even go over there to sit on the couch and watch a movie without him being in the next room. He may not care at all, but still... Awwwwkward!

Speaking of relationships, I called the Maddening Angel on the way to the auction. She was about to eat with her parents and Cokehead and summarily dismissed me. Sadly, I think our friendship outside of work is over.

After the auction, Spooky and I drove to the Hangout, where we encountered Friar and the usual gang of losers. W was there as well, and I talked to her briefly. We played video bowling with a couple of young people I didn't know. The guy was so drunk that at one point he failed to perceive his girlfriend standing right next to him, even when I pointed at her. They were both very social and affable, however, and kicked our asses at the game.

We had a couple of drinks, then to my house. Some rather satisfying rough play followed. Spooky spent the entire night for the first time, instead of me having to drive her back in the wee hours so Babydaddy could get to work. However, she did call him twice during the rest of the evening; guilt over being away from Baby for the first time in a long while.

No comments: