Friday, November 09, 2007

Ulcers, misery

Pissed off and slightly scared. My alcoholic and drug-addict father took some painkiller or some other fucking drug and behaved by turns expansive, incoherent, narcoleptic and aggressive today. My mother was understandably aggrieved. I called a few people, including Potato, who is often his supplier. Potato swears he had nothing to do with this and agrees it's unacceptable; I believe him. Earlier today my father sideswiped a parked car. Or so he says; anyway, my parents' car has some bad damage on the passenger side. I've little doubt he was under the influence of whatever this is.

I've been through this dance before, but it still makes me sick. He's getting too old for this shit and so am I.

The thing that really makes me angry is that I had such a good day today. My life is finally starting to turn around and get better, and I have to deal with this negative, useless bullshit because my father is too damn weak to take life's vagaries like a man. It just brings me down, and yet I can't, of course, turn my back on him or my mother, either. They're getting old.

4 comments:

Churlita said...

It sucks that you have to parent your parent. How awful for you.

Janet said...

So sorry to hear this, Chance. My dad had (has?) similar issues but he lives 3 times zones away which makes it a lot easier for me.

Chance said...

Thanks for the sympathy, but I probably shouldn't whine like that.

Michael5000 said...

Eesh, what a monsterous bummer. Nobody should have to deal with a "supplier" for their dad....