Friday, July 28, 2006

Measuring with coffee spoons

"What a terribly long time we’ll be dead; it seems a shame to waste even a second of life on needless negativity."

I wish I were predisposed to live that sentiment.

***

As part of my ongoing project of interest to no one, possibly not even my own future hypothetical self, below are detailed the graphic novels I bought since last time, along with price paid.
  • Lucifer v. 8: The Wolf Beneath the Tree - $15
The original fallen angel makes the rest of creation fall in line with his Machiavellian schemes. Fantastic. Mike Carey can do no wrong with this series; easily one of the best of the Vertigo line.
  • Preacher v. 2: Until the End of the World - $15
I received the first volume of this series in a comic swap, read it, and was appalled. Not only is it about a preacher, his assassin girlfriend and a vampire out to confront God about what a poor job He's done with the world, it's soaked with brutal, over-the-top gory violence. It made me feel weird, uncomfortable things much the same way that Oliver Stone's Natural Born Killers did: paranoid and shaky and needing to remind myself that this was exaggerated, cartoonish violence meant to make a point about the state of the human condition, not necessarily a realistic depiction of evil. As I say, I was appalled --- and I wanted more. So I immediately went out and bought the second volume. Not long after, I was at Half Price Books, where I saw:
  • Preacher v. 3: Proud Americans - $8
  • Preacher v. 4: Ancient History - $8
  • Preacher v. 5: Dixie Fried - $8
It was like a sign from above! The two volumes I already owned were nowhere in sight. They had only the next three books. So I snapped them all up. Along with...
  • Queen & Country: Blackwall (hardcover) - $8
Greg Rucka writes a damn good British spy story. In fact, I think the BBC nicked some of his ideas for the "MI-5" show.
  • Human Target v. 1: Strike Zones - $5
Christopher Chance impersonates people --- marked men, blackmail victims, the hunted --- and rights injustice, or at least tries to. I already had the second book in this series, so was familiar with the concept and liked it. Good solid action/spy/noir adventure. Not exactly a timeless classic, but well worth five bucks, and it would make a terrific TV series. Too bad 99% of television is moribund and desiccated when it comes to interesting ideas.

Seven TPB's purchased in the last month or so at an average price of $9.60. Not too bad.

No comments: