Monday, September 24, 2007

Bullet points

* Student teaching is one quarter of the way over. This is week four.

* For language arts, I read an extremely simple Big Book (meant for read-alongs: with few words, repeating phrases, etc). I also reviewed some phonemes and some blending exercises.

* For math, I did the calendar (month, date, day, weather, days of school tally), and then taught a lesson on comparison. the kids tossed a set of bi-colored discs out of a cup, then tallied how many of each color and which total was greater.

* While Ms. L was talking about counting by twos, a boy raised his hand and said, "Um, I already learned how to count by twos in kindergarten. I thought I would learn new things in first grade, like how to count by fives."

Poor naive kid. He's too young to realize that public education in Texas doesn't exist to teach kids new things. Its purpose is to move them along.

1 comment:

Churlita said...

I love the kid who wants to count by 5's.