Wednesday, September 05, 2007

You do their work, and they shall have good luck

Either due to stress or a simpler kind of anxiety or a horrible health problem, I feel jacked up as if on loads of caffeine all the time. I know I have tachycardia, which ain't good. In any case, I was up until midnight last night, despite my early hours and long day at work. So I leapt out of bed at 6:00 a.m. this morning, raring to go again. That'll show my body. Drove to Brown in darkness and rain.

Today we worked more on writing color words and sentences; reviewed counting by tens; filled in a hundred-block worksheet; and spent fifteen minutes on science at the end of the day (reading aloud from a grade-level textbook four sentences that doubtlessly went entirely over their heads: they don't know what the hell observation is). My participation went beyond busywork and helping with deskwork today; I read an Eric Carle book, Ten Little Rubber Ducks. They seemed to enjoy it. I know I did. Oh, and Ms. L did several one-on-one DRAs (Developmental Reading Assessments) while I monitored the class. So that was helpful. They're beginning to learn about phonetic discrimination.

I stayed after school for another grade meeting, this one about centers. We decided on regular centers and intervention centers. I contributed a few ideas that were received well: for example, a name center involving student photos and letters to mix and match.

In other news, I got the callback from Prestigious Private Elementary! Holy schnitt! I need to schedule a time for a working interview (I'll give a lesson). Think good thoughts... Think positive... This would honestly be one of the best breaks of my life, and it's in my grasp. I just need to shine when I do the working interview, and then... No, can't count chickens.

In other other news, I made plans with E.P.A.L.G., got unexpected text messages from K and Jaded (haven't heard from her in ages), talked for a while with the long-lost MA. The senseless, tragic killing of my musician acquaintance a few days ago made her realize how disconnected she's been with her friends lately, so we pledged to hang out soon with K and the Friar and so on.

The pleasure of my company is constantly sought by a variety of beautiful females who have no romantic interest whatever in me. Well, that's how it goes when you're only a brain in a jar, like me.

2 comments:

Churlita said...

Good luck with your interview...And your romantic interests.

Chance said...

Thanks, but I prefer to call them "bathetic fumblings."