Thursday, October 19, 2006

Informal Reading Inventory

I administered an Informal Reading Inventory to young W at the tutoring session today. Since Dr. C repeatedly warned us that it would probably take over an hour, I was surprised that it actually took about half that. W hit his independent, instructional and frustration levels in consecutive succession. His listening comprehension, on the other hand, took three readings, each one a lower level than the last. I think this is uncommon; students are supposed to understand more of what they hear read aloud fluently than of the material they read themselves. But oh well. I taped the whole thing and I'll review the whole thing this weekend and fill in all the paperwork about it (and there is a tremendous amount of paperwork).

I can't imagine a teacher of twenty or more kids putting this much effort into one student.

No comments: