Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Desultory, pop-culture saturated entry

Today, for no particular reason, I was thinking about one of Chris Farley's old sketches, did a little Web search and found this site, which had me literally laughing until tears came to my eyes. Holy hell, that guy was funny. Matt Foley was another good one.

***

I skipped Math Methods tonight to work on tomorrow's project and final exam.

***

Maddening Angel is giving up liquor and cigarettes for Lent. I doubt she'll make it. Spooky is giving up red meat. I'm not observing that pagan holiday, myself.

***

Another thing that had me laughing hysterically was the FOX show "Boston Legal." I don't watch a lot of TV, but this is a fantastic show. The Friar, who is a criminal defense attorney, hates the show because it's so unrealistic. Well, of course it is; although it takes place in a law firm and all the characters are high-powered lawyers, it's not about law or the courts. It's about politics; it's creator David E. Kelley's soapbox for hot-button issues of the day, like euthanasia, worker privacy, discrimination, credit card debt and so on. The current administration's erosion of civil and privacy rights comes under attack more often than not.

But it's not just about politics, it's also hilarious and poignant. The interplay between James Spader's Alan Shore and William Fucking Shatner's Denny Crane, politically opposed best friends with just a soupçon of homosexuality in their manly relationship, forms the heart and soul of the show. Denny actually reminds me of my Republican uncle, who is also a stolid, gruff man who collects guns and proclaims a distrust of liberals, but is a Good Samaritan at heart.

The last episode had, among its usual great lines ("Sometimes people say things they don't mean, like 'I love you' and 'You're fired'"), one that hit home to me. Denny says to Alan:

"At a certain age, you find it extraordinary the compromises one is willing to make for the possibility of love."

I couldn't agree more.

***

Today, Scipio offers up a modest proposal anent the Martian Manhunter. I've always had a soft spot for this character, so clearly I don't agree with Scip's extreme methods. But I do agree that he's so powerful writers don't know what to do with him. As I wrote once, it's a flaw in the otherwise good show "Justice League Unlimited."

***

I'm working! I'm working! Get off my case, Mom!

No comments: