Saturday, February 04, 2006

All work and no play makes, etc. etc.

Today is the first Saturday in a while that I haven't done anything at all socially. I stayed in, ate lunch with my father, goofed around, walked the dog. I also worked on my Science Concepts project, due Tuesday. It's a PowerPoint presentation on earthquakes. I'm having fun making it, but it's time-consuming.

I was talking to the Friar, who's a lawyer, about this story. Fascinating stuff, especially the sheer number of people who were nabbed.

Friar maintains that those men are being arrested for "thought crimes" and he is vehemently against it. Not that he wants to be soft on pedophiles. "Hell, beat them up when they get stung," he said. "Just don't charge them with the actual crime when all they've done is shown intent." Apparently "attempting" to have sex with a minor is a crime, but that's what Friar thinks shouldn't be the case. As a guy very much into freedom of thought and expression, but as a guy who also has worked with very young children all his adult life, I'm unsure if agree. If bringing condoms to a place where you think an 11-year-old is isn't a crime, it ought to be one. (Of course, as I write that, my Friar-type conscience pops up and chides me: "But it's not illegal just to carry condoms! Maybe he brought condoms [or alcohol, or whatever horrible contraband these vile sickos bring to their abhorrent assignations] for the kid's mother! Maybe he just happened to have them on him, and carries them everywhere! Or maybe he would have gotten there, talked to the kid, and then left! The point is, how can you arrest for a crime that did not take place? Next, will we be arresting people for driving by, but not picking up, prostitutes?" And there's a validity to that argument. Especially for the ones in this story that just sat outside the Entrapment House and didn't come in, but were still arrested.)

Oh well. As a kindly Pope once said, "Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoset." Or, loosely translated, "Kill them all. Let God sort 'em out."

No comments: