Thursday, February 16, 2006

I could even say I'm going to do something new to you

When you wake up with X-rated eyes
When you wake up still shaking
How can I apologize
As you check your effects and check your reflection
I'm so affected in the face of your affection
--- Elvis Costello, "Men Called Uncle"

Field trip at work. We walked the older kids over to a nearby museum. We had a nice time; the docent was very helpful. We also got to see a music center where an ensemble was practicing and the costume area of a theater. Lots of walking. No nap. So tired.

Class was cancelled. They left me a message on the phone! What service.

I went over to MA's house to watch a movie, but as soon as I got there, she asked for her spare keys. I don't know why, exactly, but this made me feel insulted and rejected. As if she were saying, "Thanks for holding my keys for a while and helping me out, but now there's someone in my life who needs to come and go as he pleases, and you're no longer a significant presence." It just really bugged me. I gave her the keys and left. I guess I was being immature, but even now, long after the fact, it still rankles.

I called Spookytooth and went over to her house. We drove to the Hangout and played a little video bowling. "We're such nerds," she said. "It's pretty nerdy," I said, "but I did walk into a bar and got greeted by name by every single member of the wait staff. That's sliding away from nerdy and into sad."

In the car, as I was about to take her back home, she suddenly, without warning, kissed me. So we went back to my place, me wondering all the while if this was a good idea. Oh, screw it, I finally decided. Good idea, bad idea, so what --- time for a bit of simple physical fun.

So, yes, I broke a dry spell with Spookytooth, this Spookytooth whom I described as "boring" and not attractive to me. And she's not, really, but that's not such a big deal. She was eager, willing and thankful. I don't know whether it'll happen again, but I wouldn't mind.

Note to self: drinking wine, followed by cheap well vodka (ugh), followed by cider, followed by sustained vigorous activity, is not a particularly intelligent regimen.

No comments: