Saturday, April 01, 2006

Got to get some peace in my mind

Monday morning you sure look fine
Friday I got travelin' on my mind
--- Fleetwood Mac, "Monday Morning"

Since I have no classes Fridays, I did agree to work 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. so The Boss can leave her center and act irresponsible. The Assistant Boss was also gone for the day. So unprofessional.

The other day, I cracked open a stump on the playground and showed the kids a big fat white grub. It was quite repulsive looking, but interesting too. I told them not to touch it; we observed it for a while, then I covered it back up with some tree bark. The next day, what the hell do I find but the damn grub in a little plastic box in the classroom. Apparently, after I'd left, the kids showed it to the idiot Boss, who picked it up and caged it, along with a solitary leaf and some small pieces of wood. I told the Boss that she should have left it there, and it was going to die. She did nothing. Next day? Dead grub in little plastic box in classroom. She's such a child in so many ways, thinking that one leaf and a few bits of wood makes an environment for an animal.

So another employee takes the cage with the shriveled dead grub down from the shelf and shows it to Boss. I was not there at the time, but this is what I heard was Boss' reaction: "Well, leave it on my desk, and if it's still dead tomorrow, I'll throw it out."

Now what's that? Denial? Laziness? Severe retardation?

***

I had dinner with Spooky at L, another fancy restaurant tonight. We had a couple of courses each, including raw oysters, quail, venison, and dessert, plus some glasses of wine. The bill was about $150 with tip. While the food was very good, it wasn't superb like the meal we had at GR on St. Paddy's, a meal which I still remember fondly.

As for wine, I have never been an oenophile and no very little about the stuff (unlike my school chum Anacreon). It seems I do enjoy a good glass of Pinot Gris (white), but the Pinot Noir (red) was a bit too bitter for my taste. I very much enjoyed a sweet dessert wine from Australia. Yes, I have childish tastes.

No comments: