Monday, April 10, 2006

With stars in your eyes, love is blind

Oh, I can't get you off of my mind
When I try I'm just wastin' my time
Lord I've tried and I've tried
And all night long I've cried
--- Hank Williams, "I Can't Get You Off Of My Mind"

Man, I dig that Dylan version of this song.

Longtime readers of this blog (of whom, excluding me, there exist precisely none) might remember Ram. Well, today I called her --- as I have perhaps three or four times this year --- and she actually answered. She was in the library writing a paper; I joined her there at her suggestion. I had to get to class, so we just chatted and laughed for a few minutes. She stood up and gave me a hug goodbye. I told her I missed our conversations. I can't believe that I still feel a spark with her, but it was immediately apparent on seeing her. She sure has shiny white teeth. Sigh. Later, I texted her to say it was nice seeing her. She answered a few hours later, but (possibly fortunately for me) I doubt she has any romantic interest left.

I wouldn't be dabbling with such contact at all if this damned triangle with Spooky and her Babydaddy that I'm caught up in weren't so dramatic and stressful and wrong and weird. I called their house today while she was at work and left a message specifically for him, trying to see if my dating Spooky bothered him and whether we could clear the air. Apparently his only answer was something along the lines of, "Yeah, that does bother me," or some crap. Holy Xif, I can't take much more of it.

***

Reading I was typical. I turned in the phonics lesson I typed up last night. Our topic today was dyslexia. The facts and characteristics are mostly common sense stuff: there is no one test for dyslexia, but a battery of tests; it's a constitutional disorder, meaning it's innate [but I do wonder about environmental causes]; it's usually identified in school, not by a doctor; letter reversals in writing are not the core feature of dyslexia, but a normal developmental stage; etc. Interestingly, although there are about three times as many boys as girls with ADD, with dyslexia the gender dispersal is about even.

In Texas, there is a law that says students with dyslexia must be identified and serviced. However, there is no special funding to carry out this wonderful intention.

No comments: